Ham, Brie, and Homemade Cherry Chutney Croissants
This delicious hot breakfast sandwich really hits the spot thanks to the winning combination of flaky buttery croissants, warm ham, creamy melted Brie, and a spicy-sweet cherry chutney spread.
- 4-oz Mini-Mason Jars: https://delicioushealthyrecipes.com/product/fruiteam-4-oz-12-pack-mini-mason-jars-with-lids-and-bands-quilted-crystal-jars-ideal-for-food-storage-jam-body-butters-jelly-wedding-favors-baby-foods/
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. red onion approximately ½ medium, chopped
- 1½ t. ground cinnamon
- ¼ t. ground nutmeg
- 1 t. dried rosemary
- 1 t. dried thyme
- ½ t. crushed red pepper flakes*
- 1 T. fresh ginger peeled and finely minced
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c. brown sugar packed
- 1 T fresh orange zest preferably organic
- 1 large orange peeled and cut into chunks
- 12 oz. frozen cherries thawed with juice, roughly chopped
- 2 t. cornstarch
- 2 t. water
- *Adjust the amount of red pepper according to personal preference
- Remaining Ingredients:
- 2 croissants cut in half lengthwise
- 4 slices Canadian bacon or breakfast ham
- 3 oz. Brie cut into thin slices and rind trimmed
- ¼ c. cherry chutney
- Optional: Fresh baby arugula
- Select the “Sauté” function on the Instant Pot™ and set to “High.”
- Add the olive oil and onion to the pot. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onion softens and develops a bit of color, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, and fresh ginger. Stir to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned and the spices are fragrant, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot by adding the balsamic vinegar and gently scraping the bottom of the unit to incorporate the brown bits into onion mixture.
- Add the brown sugar, orange zest, orange chunks, and cherries to the Instant Pot™. Stir to combine and turn the unit off.
- Add the lid and lock it into place, then set the release valve to “Sealing.” Select the “Manual” function and adjust the cook time to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the croissant halves onto a rimmed baking sheet lined with a Silpat™ baking mat or parchment paper. Top the bottom half of each croissant with 2 slices of Canadian bacon (or breakfast ham), and several thin slices of Brie, as shown. Set aside.
- When the Instant Pot™ cook time is complete, immediately switch the pressure release valve to “Venting.” Once the steam is fully released and the pin drops, carefully remove the lid.
- Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and stir into the chutney to thicken.
- Transfer 2/3 of the chutney mixture to a blender and pulse several times until blended, but not completely smooth. Stir the blended chutney back into the Instant Pot™ and simmer for a couple minutes until the desired consistency is reached. Turn off the unit.
- Spread two tablespoons of the warm chutney onto the top half of each croissant, as shown. Place the baking sheet in the oven and heat for 5-7 minutes, or just until the Brie is nicely melted, but not running off the sandwiches.
- Remove from oven and add the baby arugula to each sandwich, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Important Note: The 4-oz. quilted glass mason jars featured in these images are for aesthetic purposes only. This is NOT a traditional canning recipe. Therefore, the remaining chutney should be stored in the refrigerator and used within 5-7 days. It is not safe to store as a canned item.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!